Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Rock Revived!



Sunday we made a pilgrimage to Rockingham, NC for the first race there since the end of it's Cup involvement. It's about an hour and 45 minutes SE of us. I was surprised at all the hoopla for an ARCA race. I didn't envision it to be much different than a GN race, but there were quite a few vendor booths and displays set up out front.
Several stars showed up for the event too. Tony Stewart with his crew chief, the Allison brothers, Cale Yarborough, Ricky Rudd and Ken Schrader, were a few. Josh Gracin (country singer/former American Idol contestant) was there to sing the National Anthem.
It was a shock that Emily had wanted to go to this race, but her enthusiasm wore off quickly in the 88 degree heat. I had to take her to some shade less than 50 laps into the 312 lap race, and spent most of the time there. Little stinker. The boys both got sunburned on the tops of their legs. You'd think I'd have learned from the last time, uggg. Now, I have sunscreen in my purse so I'll be ready to fight off the sun in the future.
Joey Lagano (development driver for Gibbs) stole the show. Seriously, the kid lapped the field so many times I bet he passed cars a total of near 200 times! Wow! He won't be running ARCA for long. Look out for this kid.
It was a good day and very cool to be there for the re-opening of a racing landmark. They did a great job and I hope they can keep it going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time! We told friend Mike you went to Rockingham...he said wow, that was a long trip since it was in Alabama tee hee.

Love ya all

Mom