Monday, May 12, 2008

Fabulous Mother's Day

I hope everyone enjoyed their Mother's Day! I sure did!

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I was complaining about having to sit on my bum out on the deck and posted a picture of some chairs I wanted? I GOT THEM! I am so excited to be able to sit out there to enjoy the weather and my plants/flowers, including the new ones!


















The weather was chilly and rainy, but I didn't want to spend the day in the apartment. I thought about a trip to Kernersville, but wasn't sure what to even look at yet. I've really been wanting to go to the Biltmore Estate, so even with the Tornado watch, we decided to make the trip to Asheville. OMG, I cant even tell you how beautiful and cool it is there! It's a really eclectic/funky town and a favorite vacation spot of many stars. We drove through town and found a great place to eat.

The weather had been iffy, but as we got to the estate, it was beautiful. Pictures don't even do justice for this place, but I put together a slide show to share.



No photography is allowed inside, but trust me, it is fully furnished and amazingly preserved! There were 250 rooms, including 43 bathrooms, 41 servants quarters, a billiards room, library, indoor pool & bowling ally.... Overwhelming! It was so cool to walk the halls and think about who was there 100 years ago.

The power went out while we were in the house (kind of spooky), but the back-up kicked in quickly. Outside, we noticed clouds moving in and it got really windy. We took our time admiring the grounds on the 3 mile drive out of the estate. It was 6:30 by then, so we grabbed a quick drive-thru meal and headed home.

When everyone was settled in bed, I turned on the tv to get my Sunday night fix of Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters. To my surprise, the news reported there was some NASTY weather while we were gone. A tornado was confirmed in Lincolnton around 6pm. We drove though there at 8pm and everything looked fine. People had reported tennis ball sized hail, TENNIS BALL SIZE! I saw video and pictures of funnel clouds and ground covered in golf ball sized hail in Concord. The storm had to have gone right through our place since we're in the middle of Lincolnton and Concord. Poor animals here all alone =(. We're all just fine though! I'm glad we were away and avoided having to hunker down in the bathroom! I think the storms are over for a few days. Hopefully it will be nice through the next couple weeks. This place is bustling with race activity!

Anyhew, I felt like the luckiest Mom in the world yesterday, and I really hope all the special moms in my life had a great day too!

1 comment:

Becky ♥ said...

What a wonderful Mother's Day you had!! You so deserve it to, you are an amazing mom.

I'm so glad you got to go to the Biltmore, and you are so right, pictures just dont do it justice. Of all the things we did back there, I think that might have been my favorite. Jay didnt really want to go, but even he loved it. We couldnt have went on a more beautiful day and it was just amazing.
Glad you guys are okay with all that crazy weather!!