Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Whaaaasuuuuup Wednesday!

Hi All! Things are going good here.

The weather has taken a turn and it feels like fall. Temps have dropped from the upper 80's to the low 70's. Our ac unit appreciates the break! For the last 3 weeks we've gotten rain an average of every 5 days. Before that it was every 2 weeks. We are quickly pulling out of the 2 year drought thanks to the tropical storm activity. I think we're up to 33 inches so far this year and some of that has come 3+ inches at a time! I sure hope the drought is over 'cause we'd really like to get our lawn in shape. Restrictions limit watering and no rain makes for trouble. Turf grass (think golf greens) is mainly used here because it's more heat and drought resistant than the bluegrass used up north. It goes dormant in the cool weather though, so some folks over seed with rye (which dies when it gets warm again). When I think we'll get a break from heavy rain, it's something I hope to do. It's really odd to see all the brown lawns. Unfortunately,the flowers we planted a few weeks ago didn't make it =(. There is definitely a learning curve when switching from NW to SE gadening.


We've gotten a few more things done around the house. I put up some more wall decor, put up a valance over the kitchen window, and changed out the shower curtain hooks in the guest bath. I also put put some decor in the laundry room. I've been trying to prioritize our wish list, but most of it will be on hold since the holiday season is just about upon us.








We were supposed to have new neighbors on both sides of us last weekend, but only one went through. They have two young girls, so maybe Emily will have more friends! The other neighbors rescheduled their closing for this Friday, and I hope it works out. I've talked with them a few times and really like them. They have little ones, so maybe not playmates, but still fun!

Friday night Blake had a friend from the next block over stay the night. He's also gotten phone calls from buddies, so we're thrilled things are going well for him in that department.

We worked on plans for Miss Em's birthday. She mentioned a few weeks ago, that she wouldn't mind going without a party. All she wants is for us to take her to the American Girl Place in NY, lol! After a discussion of how costly that little jaunt would be she decided a sleepover would be okay(lord have mercy on me), in case mommy can't swing the big trip. We brainstormed some ideas and have a plan in place. What she doesn't know, is that there is a new American Girl Bistro in Atlanta (only 2.5 hrs away as opposed to 12). Sam will be there the weekend before her birthday, so I'm hoping to work out some surprise arrangements! Shhhhhh!




The truck race was a let down once again. They gave Jack another awesome truck (1st and 2nd in practices). Jack was doing great with it and was up to 5th when the right front tire changer dropped the tire resulting in a penalty that put Jack at the end of lead lap cars. It's always something isn't it. Rumors are circulating that Jack will be out in '09 replaced by former motocross superstar Ricky Charmichael. Sam hasn't heard anything about a driver change, but anything is possible.


Sunday we went with our friend Loren and his son to the finals of the inaugural races at the new ZMAX raceway. The drag strip is adjacent to the dirt track at Lowe's (across the street from the big track) and is a beautiful facility. I have only been to one drag race that I can think of, but nothing compares to the big boys of NHRA. We sat at the finish line where cars were at their top speeds of over 300mph! Holy cow those things are fast and loud! We ran into several KHI employees there and I got to meet Ernie (Sam's Crew Chief) and his boys. It was really cool how everyone can walk around in the pits.







And finally, I got a job! It's just a part-time seasonal position at Kohl's, but I'm really excited. It's been 9 years since I've worked and I'm happy to be re-entering the workforce in a light capacity. Maybe after the holidays I'll be readjusted to working enough to look for something more steady. Thanks to Kerri and Karen for the references! I go in tonight for orientation and I imagine I'll start training next week. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Becky ♥ said...

Love the updates as always :) How cool that you got a job at Kohl's. That's where Jennifer works..I wonder if it's the same one?

Becca said...

I love the pictures in your Laundry Room. Me and Case wished we could have gone to the drag race with everyone but it's just way too loud for the little guy. Congrats on the new job. Oh how I'd love that discount!

Jenn said...

Hey Heather! The house looks beautiful. I am excited to see you're at Kohl's! I'm going to assume you're at the one in Motown instead of H'ville though. :(
Hope you enjoy it. What department are you going to be in?