Friday, September 5, 2008

Hanna Hanna Bo Banna Banana Fanna Fo Fanna

Hi all! I was really making an effort to post chronologically, but there seems to be a need to jump to real time. Miss Hanna.....

I was planning to come on today and post that we were out of Hanna's path, but the little bugger is keeping us on our toes and decided to move more westerly, putting us inside the potential path once again. She's also showing signs of strengthening (pressure dropping and winds increasing).




The above map from The Weather Channel reflects the change as of 11am ET. We are located in the southern part of the state, over halfway inland, just above where the shape shows the first jog down, barely inside of the red shaded area of the projected path.

As of now, the skies here have started to become cloudy, no rain though. Out on the coast they have had 2 tornadoes already. Landfall is expected to be around 2am, but Hanna is sending out wind nearly 300 miles from her center (we're about 250 miles inland). Luckily she is traveling quickly, so she won't drop much rain. Sunday we'll be back to our gorgeous 85 degree weather!

Now, having made you all hold your breath for a second while reading above, let me assure you, that I'm NOT worried. Aware, concerned, prepared...yes, but not worried. Worst case scenario, she's upgraded to a hurricane and makes landfall in South Carolina, sending her north toward us. By the time she gets here, she'd have lost enough power to be nothing more than a windy, rainy inconvenience. We deal with severe thunderstorms alot here. Faye caused some havoc last week. I honestly think that the worst that could happen to us is losing power (and satellite signal, lol). We don't have any trees close enough to fall on us, so we're good there. We live on a hill that slopes down and we're quite aways away from the river, so no flood worries either. I just wanted to post to hopefully give you the inside perspective so you can understand the maps and weather talk you're hearing out west.

Weather has become my new reality tv addiction =) I've got The Weather Channel on, and check the computer a few times a day. I promise you, I am aware of what is going on out there. Nothing in this storm will catch me by surprise.

I'm also prepared, just in case. I have a 3 day supply of food and water stored in the basement along with battery operated lighting, first aid supplies, toiletries, and other stuff. The car is full of gas, cell phone and laptops are fully charged, extra jugs of frozen water are in the freezer to keep it cold. Tonight I'll take one of the laptops downstairs along with the air mattress, and blankets and park the car in the garage. The kids and I will each pack a bag with a change of clothes, the cell phone, 2nd laptop, and the keys to grab and go if we come under any sort of warning. Sam's gone, so I'll have the munchkins sleep with me. I'm on alert a little more than I was yesterday, but still NOT worried or fearful.

Most computer models are updated every 3 hours, so I'll update again after 2pm ET.
They predict she'll quit moving west and head north, which would keep her away for us, so I'll watch and hope for that.

Hope you all have enjoyable weekend plans. Love ya!

*********UPDATE**********




As of 2pm ET Hanna is being projected further east. We are out of her path again, Yay! Weather here is about the same. Still cloudy, and breezy with occasional gusts now.

**********UPDATE**********



So, the most current predictions still keep Hanna away from us! The weather has gotten more dismal. It's not just cloudy, but dreary now. The rain has just begun, and is very light, but we are under a flash flood watch. The breeze has kicked up to a light wind. The maps show about a 40% chance that we'll get 39+mph winds clear over here. The kids are home from school and we are all doing great. Look for another update shortly after 8pm ET.

**********UPDATE**********

Hrumph! I've been waiting for the new image to be put up on the website, but it's running late. Guess those weather folks think they are busy or something. =) Here is a map of the state showing all the counties and the weather warnings issued for them. We're green which is the flash flood watch. The yellow is wind advisory, the red is hurricane watch and the red outline box is tornado watch. You can see we are away from the worst of it.




Anyhew, we're doing fine and Hanna is further east again. She's still building strength and is only 5mh short of being a Cat I hurricane. The bands of rain keep coming through here, but it's light peaceful rain. I've got all the windows open and feel a little gust once in awhile, but nothin' big. It's dark now, but with reflections I can see a stop sign wiggling and can hear windchime clanging. I put my ferns out in the yard so they could soak up the rain. I moved my car in the garage, just in case the wind picks up and throws debris around in the middle of the night, although nothing makes me think it will. It a nice late summer night.

In other news, looks like the guys gave Jack an awsome truck again. Fast time during both practices!

**********UPDATE**********

More good news. Our county has been dropped from the flash flood watch! Though the streets still shine wet, there hasn't been any rain to speak of. The wind spped has doubled since my last update, but the gusts haven't exeeded 20mph. Miss Em has crashed in Blake's room, but he's still up looking at racing stuff on his laptop. I'm sleepy, but I'll keep myself up as long as I can, just in case =)

**********UPDATE**********

Hanna has passed us and currently is about 120 miles NE. Amazingly enough, it doesn't appear that we got any more rain or wind overnight. It's overcast with a slight breeze and 73 degreed already this morning. Looking to be a nice day!

1 comment:

Becky ♥ said...

I am enjoying reading your updates and I'm impressed with your preparedness although it doesnt surprise me :) You guys are all in my thoughts & prayers and hopefully Hanna just stays FAR away. Love seeing all the new pics and your house looks wonderful! love you all :)