Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Nana & Papa Came To Visit Part IIII

Welcome to the fourth and final installment, lol! I've realized that somehow, I got my days confused, that's what happens when you wait a month before posting. Please forgive the change in days.

Wednesday we got up early to get a call into the ticket counter at Queens' Landing. I had tried three times to get on that darn boat, but it was always full. This time I left a message before they even opened. To my surprise they called back and said they had space all day, yay! We decided to take the lunch cruise. The boys had hot dogs and the girls had turkey sandwiches. The meals came with soda, chips, and cookies and were pretty yummy. The cruise around the lake started with a recording about the early settlement of the area by the Catawba Indians and the formation of the lake (it's man-made and has existed less than 50 years). Afterward the captain came on and pointed out some important places and of course celebrity homes. It was another hot day, but we got relief in the form of a heavy breeze. It was prefect. When we got back to the landing, the kids spent a few minutes on the dock dangling their feet in the water. Good times =)







Thursday was closing day. I had to be at the house by 10 for our final walk-through. I had given them a hefty list of things to repair 13 days earlier, but found them still working, arggh. After 3 hours I had to give up if we were going to make it to the closing on time. The superintend assured me everything would get done, ya right! We went back to the apartment where I dropped off the parents and kids, and picked up Sam. We stopped by the bank to get the big whammie check and made the trek to the attorney's office. It was getting late and when we finished signing, the lender's wire hadn't came through, so no keys, sigh. The woman preforming the closing felt awful and was trying to figure out another way for us to get the keys besides making the 45 minute drive again the next day to pick them up. We were visiting with our realtor, relaxed and relieved that all the paperwork was done when the attorney came in and said the wire came through. We got the keys! We went back to the apartment and picked up the family to go have a celebration dinner at Red Rocks. It was a fabulous end to a great day!

Friday we all got up before the sun (although I shouldn't complain since Sam does everyday). Mom and Jim were trying to catch the 7:45 am flight out which meant leaving the house by 6:15. Other than nearly rear-ending someone while trying to keep another car from cutting in, the drop-off went well. We were sad to see them go earlier than planned, but understood they had animals and project to get back to. The kids and I arrived back home, did a little picking up and the phone rang. It was mom saying the flight was too full so they needed to be picked back up. We loaded up in the car again and within 2 blocks she called to say never mind, they were still going to try to get on. I turned around and went back home where I fell asleep, until the phone rang again. No go for sure this time, they'd have to stay until Sunday. That's the risk of flying standby in exchange for the discounted friends and family vouchers. For the third time in just over 2 hours, we headed out again. =) This time we stopped at Mickey D's for some breakfast on the way home. I can't remember know what ate up the day, but I remember time getting away from me. I had planned to pick up the Uhaul early and run up to Hickory to get the furniture I had bought 2 weeks before, but time ran out somehow. Jim went with and drove it back to the apartment for me about 3:30pm. We spent the evening packing and loading the Uhaul for the big move.

Saturday was moving day. It was hot, just like a year earlier when we moved in to the apartment. Luckily this time we had some help. Thanks guys! There was an evening storm, which is always a good end to a hot day. We set up the beds and crashed, IN OUR NEW HOUSE!

Sunday was another early morning for another try at boarding a plane home. This time with success. I can't believe a whole month has gone by since their visit. We sure enjoyed having them here. I hope they will be able to visit more often, and all the rest of you too, we have lots of space! Love you all XOXOXO

No comments: