Thursday, October 1, 2015

The drama of weather

So Hurricane Joaquin is currently pounding the Bahamas. It's in the news and all over social media. I know that most weather forecasters have good intentions, but they sure can be fear mongers too. If you watch FL news they are telling them to be prepared even though there is absolutely no sign of potential landfall there. If you watch DC news, they are predicting school to be out on Monday and for the NFL to postpone the Redskins game. Of course, don't leave of the Northeasterners (who are like the "man colds" of weather). Nothing is ever worse than it is up there, lol! It is crazy the amount of drama that can be made of weather. If you look at individual news stations up the Eastern Seaboard, you will even notice that some of them go so far as to leave out possible model track that aren't pointing to them. Now I'm a bit of a weather drama lover, but when the National Weather Service is on The Weather Channel to discuss the imminent weather conditions 250 miles away from you, but where your first-born child is currently residing just 5 miles from the oceanfront, s**t gets real! Now I find myself on a constant search for the "real" story of what is going to happen over the next few days. Part of me wants to tell him, don't take any chances, come home now. Another part of me knows we have raised a competent human being who will be just fine. Yet another part of me wants to go join him! Crazy I know, but there is something "exciting" about witnessing such powerful weather. Not to mention I'm a smidge concerned about our property. I mean, if the neighbors start boarding windows, I need to be there to do the same right? I am obsessed with clicking the refresh button to get the latest opinion and prediction. In another tab I'm compiling a list of emergency supplies to send the boy to get as soon as school is out for the day. I've already told him to fill up his gas tank. My phone is next to me so I can communicate with the mother of boy's roommate. I know I need to change the tv channel, close the computer and go do something more productive, but I just can't help myself. After all, the next update from The National Hurricane Center is in just 20 minutes! Ugh...

No comments: