Sunday, December 16, 2007

Trimming The Tree

















I can hardly believe I did it, but ..... I did. For some reason I just didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of picking out, setting up and maintaining a live tree this year. So I bought an artificial tree. *sigh* The second I put it together I was disappointed. It's a pathetic little tree, but it will do. It took me a week to bring the ornaments up from the garage, but once the kids started decorating my spirits picked up. I decided not to use the matching themed ornaments and go with the collected ornaments instead. All my life my grandmother got me an ornament for Christmas. Most years she engraved them, but not all. The oldest one labeled is from 1974! Wow, how cool is that? We also have added to the collection ornaments given to us by my mom and mother-in-law. Once it was complete, the pathetic little tree turned out to be pretty special. In the dark I sat back and looked at the tree aglow with 35 years of memories hanging from it's branches and my heart was so full. I can't wait to hear 20 years from now about all the memories we've created with/for our children. This is Christmas!














But next year, I plan to put this tree up in addition to a real, live, perfectly decorated tree. =)

1 comment:

Thompson Family said...

What a great tradition and how special it will be to pass on to your kids! I'm sure they will remember it forever. Hugs!!!